Have you ever felt curious how sugar ants easily detect your favorite recipes made of sugar and often claim the entire sugar jar without your consent?
Well, this is a common problem in every home leaving the owners wondering how to get rid of sugar ants in kitchen?
But before that let’s understand where sugar ants come from.
Sugar ants can live anywhere within the cracks in the wall or holes in the ground or soil. All they need is a tiny place to enter and leave.
You won’t even know but they might have build a colony for themselves within the wall cracks.
Mostly sugar ants come out when the temperature is moderate because that’s the time they collect food in order to survive in extreme summer or winter.
Ants are hyperactive little insects with a major craving for anything sweet.
So if you want them away from your kitchen, try out our recommended list of natural home remedies to get rid of ants.
9 Natural Ways to Get Rid Of Sugar Ants In Kitchen
Use Citrus Fruit To Get Rid Of Sugar Ants Naturally
Do you know lemon can work wonders as an ant repellent?
Citrus fruits like orange, lemon, or essential oils extracted from them keep off sugar ants from your kitchen.
If you feel helpless about ants invading your home, use lemon or orange peel to deter them from spoiling your sweet treats.
Other than this start storing sugar in airtight glass containers than easy to dent plastic jars.
Here are a few steps to use citrus fruit to get rid of sugar ants in kitchen.
- Squeeze few drops of lemon juice or orange juice directly into the crack or hole to disrupt the ant trail.
- You can also use a spray by mixing citrus fruit juice with water and wipe off the kitchen counter so that ants do not wander around in your kitchen, looking for sweets. Do this every time you cook something and ants won’t come back.
Use Neem Leaves To Get Rid Of Ants In Kitchen Permanently
When talking about natural ant repellent, how can we forget the miraculous Neem?
If you aren’t familiar with this tree of the Indian subcontinent, we will decode its benefits in fighting the sugar ants in kitchen.
However, the effectiveness of Neem oil in stopping ants depends on the purity of the product you are using.
Extracted from the fruit and seed, Neem oil is highly effective when applied in its purest form as a spray without any dilution.
You can also dab some along the entryways and specific areas which will drive the ants away for their extreme bitter taste and smell.
If you have a neem tree in the near vicinity here’s a solution that you can prepare at home to get rid of sugar ants permanently.
- Collect fresh neem leaves in a bowl, add water and bring it to boil.
- Let the water cool down completely and remove all the neem leaves from it.
- Fill it in a spray bottle and spray it in the affected areas of your home and kitchen.
- Follow the ant trail to see where they are going, it may be a crack in the wall or hole in the ground. Once you find the source of origin spray or pour this water into the hole or crack to kill ants permanently.
I followed the exact steps when ants invaded my kitchen and after repeating this process two to three times the ants were nowhere to be seen.
This is the best way to kill sugar ants.
Use Herbs Or Spices To Get Rid Of Ants In Kitchen
Have you ever noticed how kitchen ants strictly avoid the spice and herbs shelf and move on to the next?
This is because of the rich aroma of certain spices like bay leaves, cloves, and cinnamon and herbs like basil, lemongrass, and rosemary which works as an excellent ant repellent.
If you are looking for ways to get rid of ants without using chemicals, then you must try using these kitchen secrets to safely store sugar and other sweetened items that the ants love targeting.
- Dip cotton balls in pure cinnamon oil and leave them in the potential places of ant invasion.
- You can also put whole cloves near sugar containers or ant holes for visible effect.
Use Coffee Grounds As A Natural Remedy For Sugar Ants
Again a rich aromatic ingredient from your kitchen you can use to get rid of sugar ants naturally.
Don’t worry you just need the used coffee grounds than dumping them away.
Here is how you can use it to repel the ants from your kitchen counter.
- Take some used coffee grounds and put them around the holes from where the ants trail makes their way out.
- Encircle the sugar containers and probable ant plaguing areas with coffee grounds to ward them away without harming.
- Spread a handful of this ingredient on the cracks and also along the entryways for driving ants’ nuts.
Use Chalk Powder To Get Rid Of Ants In Kitchen
When you are fed up controlling the marching ants from your kitchen, try chalk powder to revert them.
Sugar ants get irritated with the smell of chalk due to calcium carbonate.
So, when you have such natural ways to keep ants away, be kind to avoid the commercial pest chalks.
Here are the steps to use chalk powder to get rid of ants from your kitchen counter.
- Disrupt the ant trail with a chalk line as the ants on the other side of the mark will lose the scent of the proceeding ants because of the overpowering smell of the chalk.
- You can also sprinkle chalk powder over the ant-infested areas to keep them off your kitchen.
- Cover the hole from where the ants are coming out with chalk powder. Though it will not kill them, it will stop them from coming out.
Let us warn you that even if you close the hole by filling it with chalk powder, ants will find some other way to reach your kitchen.
It may take them some time but they will.
This is not the best way to get rid of sugar ants and we do not find this method very effective but it will give you some relief from them.
Use Vinegar Spray To Get Rid Of Sugar Ants Naturally
What’s your take on the smell of vinegar?
Trust us the ants are even more intolerant of this pungent smell and keep a distance.
Then what are you waiting for?
Grab a mist bottle and mix in a proportionate amount of water and vinegar to irritate ants away.
Here are a couple of pointers to keep in mind while you are on your mission to get rid of sugar ants in kitchen.
- Spray the solution over the highly ant-infested areas and see how they start leaving.
- Vinegar is acidic in nature which if directly applied to the ants can also kill them. So use it wisely based on your preference.
- Be cautious before spraying on any surface as the acidic vinegar could be damaging.
Use Cornstarch As A Home Remedy To Get Rid Of Sugar Ants
Honestly, cornstarch isn’t to deter ants but to slow poison them to death, which makes it a must have item if ants have invaded your kitchen.
Ants love devouring things that come their way and cornstarch is one such kitchen item they can’t resist and carries to their nest like other food.
So if you want to use this home remedy to kill sugar ants, this is another best way to do it. Read the steps below.
- You can sprinkle cornstarch to attract ants to eat which will cause them to starve to death because of indigestion.
- Pour cornstarch all over the ant holes or cracks and vacuum clean the mess with the inactive ants after a while.
- Cornstarch indeed kills ants slowly. So if you are looking for the best way to kill sugar ants try this ingredient for the best result.
Spray Essential Oil To Repel Sugar Ants From Kitchen Counter
Highly concentrated essential oils are natural pest repellent because of their strong aroma.
Most pests cannot bear such strong essence and strictly avoid them.
If you think your home especially the kitchen is the ant’s heaven use essential oils of orange, peppermint, tea tree, cedarwood, or clove to drive them away from your zone.
In this method, you can make the best and safe ant repelling solution by mixing up few drops of your favorite essential oil along with 1/4th cup of an equal portion of vodka and water.
Now spray this solution to keep off sugar ants and other pests from your home.
Create A Bait To Lure Sugar Ants
If you are not sure where sugar ants come from, you can create a bait and lure them into your trap.
We used to do this all the time when we were kids.
In order to lure sugar ants out of their hiding zones here’s what we used to do.
- Put something sweet in a bowl (mostly sugar crystals because ants love that).
- Place the bowl on a plate filled with water.
- The bowl should touch the edge of the plate so that ants can climb into the bowl.
- Once there are enough ants into the bowl and you see ants trail, follow it to see where they are coming from.
- After you successfully find the hole or crack come back to the kitchen and slide the bowl away from the edge of the plate.
- Now the bowl is in the middle of the plate and ants in the bowl can’t escape because the plate is filled with water.
- The ants outside the plate will lose the scent of ants in the bowl and start to scatter in confusion.
- Now use any of the above methods to get rid of the sugar ants on your kitchen counter.
- Next, fill the hole or crack you found earlier with any of the above methods.
- You can wash away the ants trapped in the bowl.
Although this is time-consuming it does help you to find out where the sugar ants are coming from and take action.
As you can see your kitchen holds half the stuff to fight the pest and sugar ant infestation.
All you need is a little knowledge and ideas to make your own DIY ant repellent remedies at home which we hope you have already learned from our informative post.
Killing is always the easiest option to get rid of sugar ants but you can be more compassionate in making the world a haven for all.
We prefer to use citrus fruits, neem leaves, or coffee grounds to get rid of ants naturally.
So we encourage you to use the natural ingredients mentioned above to prevent ants from entering than using commercial pest deterring products.
In this way, you can create a safer and healthy living at home.
Do you know any other home remedies or natural ways to get rid of ants in kitchen? Let us know in the comment section.